Sunday, July 18, 2010

Quiche for the pastry queen


Yesterday we went to visit my nan. Her specialty dish is caramel tarts with amazing pastry so it was with a little trepidation that I took her a Quiche Lorraine. This involved making Pâte Brisée and I was less then delighted when I removed the blind baked pastry shell to see that the sides were not very deep and all the pricking of the base and fandangled pastry weights had not prevented the middle from puffing. I poured the seasoned egg and milk filling in and some of it slowly but surely trickled out of the pastry and around the sides.

Miraculously it rose, brown and puffy and when we ate it the pastry was fine. It's like puff pastry, raved the pastry queen, who ate two pieces of quiche - quite unusual for her. The main event for her is actually Bruce, as s/he will be the first great grandchild, but it was nice to see her enjoying lunch too!

No comments:

Post a Comment