Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Boeuf a la Catalane


When I searched for this recipe online I read various comments about its intricate flavours and how people had used it as a dinner party classic.

Menu
Boeuf À La Catalane
Haricots Verts
Champignons Sautés Au Beurre

The dish involves lightly browning blanched bacon and removing to a casserole, then browning beef and removing, then browning onions and removing. Cook a cup of rice in the oil and then remove and keep separate. Deglaze with a cup of wine, then add it and some stock to the casserole containing the bacon, beef and onion. Cook in a very slow oven for an hour then add some peeled tomatoes and extra stock if necessary. Cook for another hour then add rice. As I was cooking a day ahead, I choose to stop before adding the rice. Even though Julia tells you that it is possible to reheat this dish after you put the rice in, I was a bit sceptical and glad that I didn't do it. Monday night I brought the casserole up to a simmer, added the rice and simmered slowly for 20 minutes until the rice softens (this was supposed to happen in the oven but mine didn't get to the right temperature so I did it on the stove, this allowed me to monitor the rice cooking which I was a bit wary of). Add a cup of grated swiss cheese and serve with the buttered blanched beans and mushrooms sauteed in butter with shallots. Le Gourmand is not such a fan of mushrooms so he mixed in a few with his casserole.

One of the worst things about pregnancy is it hits your immune system hard. I have been sick so many times already. Luckily Bruce keeps kicking away but I am really sick of being sick!

A bad cold had set in on Monday so I may not be the best judge but I would not describe the flavours as intricate and Le Gourmand and I agreed that it was good weekday food but we wouldn't serve it at a dinner party. As you can see from the photo, it has no wow factor. The reheating will be.... interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment