Monday, July 26, 2010

My Low Fat Friday - Crepes and Cream Sauce

While Le Gourmand merrily drank his way around Sydney on Friday night, I decided it would be a good night to practice crepes. Julia's recipe involves a little organisation, as it requires you to leave the crepe batter in the fridge for two hours before using it but the pay offs are excellent. Most of the time I could even flip the crepes, which is a nice feeling of achievement.

After I had a nice pile of crepes, I used chicken and asperges au naturel mixed into a Sauce Creme to fill them.

Sauces are my raison d'etre with French foods. If I can cook a mean french sauce after my time with Julia, I will be a happy Brioche. This sauce was basically a bechamel with a cream enrichment, seasoned with salt, pepper and lemon. It was a fantastic texture and, despite the cream and butter, surprisingly light. I spread filling along the bottom third of each crepe and then placed the rolled crepes in a baking dish, covering the dish with the cream sauce and sprinkling it with fantabulous emmenthal cheese before browning it under the grill.

Although I used nowhere near the amount of butter Julia recommended, I think she would have been proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment