Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Pork, potatoes and the dreaded anchovies

It's been a long term challenge to entice Le Gourmand to enjoy pork. If it has enough flavour he is generally sold, so with some care that morning I prepared the dry marinade for our pork loin.
However, it seems that I drop the ball that night when I decide to make a spinach and potato dish with anchovies. Ooops - never a good look when your dinner companion runs from the table to spit out the meal you have lovingly prepared and declares that you are mean for hiding anchovies in food. But I've done it before, I protest weakly. And I eat olives when you hide them in food, I think to myself, pushing the leftover

Menu
Marinade Sèche
Rôti De Porc Poêlé
Épinards À La Basquaise

Why do people hate anchovies so much? I have to be a bit careful as there is a bunch of dreaded celery in my fridge at the moment, waiting for me to bite the bullet and cook Julia's braised celery. I imagine I will find a multitude of ways to put it off.

Luckily the casserole roasted pork saves the day - Le Gourmand loves the flavour in the pork - the dry marinade has allspice as well as the usual suspects of salt, pepper, bay leaf, thyme - and it is browned and then cooked in the oven in a casserole. Carefully - as our pork loin is a lot smaller than Julia's recipe - and once again the meat thermometer is my friend. The sauce is more a jus, cooked down juices with wine.

Meanwhile I enjoy the sliced potatoes and spinach in stock flavoured with anchovies and butter and sprinkled with cheese. Less heavy than the previous gratins, it means dinner is not the usual cream and butter festival. Le Gourmand enjoys the reheated vegetables from earlier in the week. There are no complaints from Bruce - hopefully he will eat anchovies when the time comes.

1 comment: