Monday, August 9, 2010

Happy Birthday AM

It's been a slower than usual Julia weekend as my attention has been distracted by Bruce-related shopping endeavours: prams, change tables etc. There were also a lot of leftovers in the fridge so when the Bear (Bruce's aunty in waiting) arrived on Saturday night it was cold lamb and vegetables with Haricots Verts À La Mornay. The Bear is a big fan of Mornay although it was not as thick as it should be, thanks to my failure to heat the milk to boiling before adding it to my white roux. It eventually thickened but it was interesting to see how important that step is to a nice thick mornay. Not that I was complaining as I used my beans and mornay as a sauce for the reheated lamb.


On Sunday the Bear and I were cooking for our lovely auntie's birthday at the Queen of Pastry's house. The Queen of Pastry (grandma) loved the last quiche so much I decided to try Quiche aux Oignons. I used a springform pan instead of my quiche mould and this was much more successful as there was plenty of space for the filling and much less spillage over the side. The QOP chopped the onions (with the able help of one of my cousins) which I slowly cooked over a golden heat before adding to the eggs, cream, emmenthal and seasoning. The chopping was so fine that whilst she ate the quiche with relish QOP kept asking, but where are the onions? They had blended beautifully into the filling.

The Bear had made a fabulous salad with pan fried haloumi, pumpkin, capsicum and pomegranate syrup and a very naughty gratin to accompany. Quiche and gratin? Bruce was drowning in dairy but I was in a beautiful, decadent place.

No comments:

Post a Comment