Monday, August 16, 2010

Hamburgers of sorts

Which means no burger bun or tomato sauce. But they still tasted good.

Menu
Bifteck Haché
Cherry Tomatoes with Sauce Ravigote
Carottes a la Crème
Beurre d'Ail (on potatoes)

I was a bit reluctant to use one of the simple recipes which I am trying to save for Bruce's arrival, when putting any meal on the table will be a challenge, but suddenly hamburgers seemed like the best option. They were fairly straightforward although you gently cooked the onion before adding it to the minced beef, salt and pepper, butter, beaten egg and thyme, forming the patties and refrigerating. Le Gourmand was very approving of the thyme flavouring. After the meat was cooked I added some stock and red wine and cooked it down, enriching it with some Garlic Butter (I always struggle with the french word for garlic) that I made by mortar and pestling some garlic (I was supposed to boil it but forgot) and adding butter. The garlic butter was also great on the potatoes.

Carrots was the usual drill - cook the carrots in water, butter, sugar, salt - once that was done I drained them and cooked them in cream for another 15 minutes. A naughty way to enjoy vegetables but I keep finding myself with leftover cream from the other recipes.

The sauce ravigote was the simple addition of capers, parsley and shallots to Sauce Vinaigrette (oil and white wine vinegar shaken together with salt and pepper, given the other flavours I omitted the optional dry mustard) and it was delicious on the cherry tomatoes I chopped into halves.

A nice hearty Thursday night dinner. Now what will I cook when Bruce arrives?

No comments:

Post a Comment